Thursday, January 14, 2016

My Entrepreneur Story

As a staff writer for the Alligator, a student-run paper here in Gainesville, I meet a lot of people every day. This year, I spoke on the phone with UF alumni Nikhil “Nik” and Anjali Kundra. They created Partender, and after graduating from UF a few years ago, they successfully launched their application.
While I didn’t necessarily meet them, I had an hour-long phone conversation with them about their success story. And then I got to write about it.

The hardest part about being a journalist is gathering great information, but knowing you can’t put it all in. For instance, in the article, I wrote about how their professor helped them polish the concept, but I didn't have the word count to put in the story about how they found out they made the "2016 30 Under 30: Food and Drink," or how they were influenced by Josh Greenberg, another UF alumnus who left a big impact on the school. 
Josh Greenberg passed away last summer. I had the chance to cover his memorial service at UF, which I wrote about here
I never knew him in life, but from what I heard and what I was told, he was a great entrepreneur who changed the lives of many. 

I took this picture at the event. I'll be honest with you, covering memorials is always hard. It's a very sensitive place, where people are saying goodbye to someone they cared about. 
But out of it, comes a beautiful story of a guy who changed lives. I've found that the entrepreneur field is close knit, in a sense. Everyone knows everyone. 
What I hope to get from this class is to think outside the box when it comes to stories. I want to be a journalist who asked the right questions to get the answers that matter. I want to find new ways to tell stories, but with words. I'm passionate about what I do, and I hope that comes through in writing. 

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the entrepreneur field is close knit. I worked for a company over the summer that was started by two entrepreneurs and they got the determination to start their own company because they knew so many other entrepreneurs who just went for it and were successful. When I worked for them, it did seem like they knew everyone. And because of that, I have met many inspiring people who have created their own businesses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it was really cool that you were able to reach out to those UF alumni over the phone and have an extensive conversation about their experience. I also think that it is unfortunate that some valuable information is left out of your articles due to the restricted word count. Overall, I really enjoyed reading your blog post and I want to wish you good luck the rest of the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also I think you would be interested in reading my article!
    http://cambent.blogspot.com/2016/01/my-entrepreneurship-story-week-2.html
    I hope to meet other UF Alumni who are entrepreneurs as you did. I think it would be really interesting to hear about their experiences and how being a Gator shaped them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you want to read my article, here is the link!
    http://saraheverts.blogspot.com/2016/01/my-entrepreneurship-story.html

    ReplyDelete