Sunday, March 13, 2016

My Secret Sauce

1. Five ways that I think I stand out are: being aware, being interested in news, being a minority, being open-minded and being raised by a single mother. By being aware, I'm always alert and reading the news. As a journalist, knowing what's on the news is important to me. Being interested in news makes me a valuable asset, because it doesn't bore me to read a newspaper. I do that already every morning! Being a minority has given me a unique perspective in life. Being open-minded has allowed me to see other possibilities, and to consider opinions different than my own. And being raised by a single mother has allowed me to grow up independent, but also led by strong women. It's allowed me to become my own person. 


 
After listening to Andres, my friend, I realized that being a minority is definitely an advantage. I realized that it allows me to bring a diverse presence in the newsroom. 
 
There was more to Caitlin's interview, but I had to cut it. The take away was, she said I worked very hard at what I do, which I didn't realize. 
 
After talking to Ethan, I realized that my strengths also lie in writing. Being a journalist has allowed me to develop my skills. 
After talking to Luis, I remembered that I played soccer! Being athletic means I'm healthy. Being healthy gives me an advantage and keeps me in shape. 
 
After talking to Aron, who did not wish to be video recorded, I realized that I do work hard at what I do. 

A lot of the things my friends said, I wouldn't have used to say about myself. There are some differences. For instance, I would consider myself diligent at what I do, but not hard working. I think my interviewees are correct, because they are honest people. If I had to make a correction to my list, I would say to add hardworking. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey! You have some awesome friends. Unlike you, I decided to interview a lot of family rather than friends, which was a bad idea in hindsight. I definitely think that by going out and asking friends rather than family, a lot of the answers are going to be more accurately based on merit rather than simply because you are related to them. What I mean is that there is, to an extent, a little bit more honesty and detail that comes from asking friends rather than family that loves you unconditionally. I also got attributes such as hard working and fitness mentioned about me, but I definitely think all of your traits are very helpful and beneficial traits to have.

    Also, check out my post:
    http://sebastianent3003.blogspot.com/2016/03/my-secret-sauce.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, it was interesting that most of your interviewees view you differently than you view yourself, maybe you have strengths that you don't even realize. The fact that to people see you as very hard working means you will have an advantage over your competition. You seem like you have the skills to make your business successful! Check out my blog here: http://jakeryanentrepreneur.blogspot.com/2016/03/idea-napkin-no-2.html

    ReplyDelete