Sunday, April 10, 2016

Celebrating Failure


I have failed so many times this semester, my hands are sweating as I type this, recalling all the times my face reddens in embarrassment from an error. When I fail, I never let myself live it down. For instance, I misspelled a student’s last name in the paper. Oh yes, I was one letter off, but it changed my entire life. Not only did I lie in bed and contemplate my career in journalism, I cried a bit. A fact error, can in some cases, be life ruining, especially if it morphs the entire meaning of a story or fact. That was probably the worst one. 
What I learned was, I have to be so careful when it comes to spelling names. I misspelled the student’s last name because I did a phone interview off of my friend’s phone. I was also exhausted, and it was near deadline. I learned that I have to TRIPLE check. That means finding the student in the UF Directory (and making sure they exist), and even checking Facebook to see if there’s a profile that matches a person.

I think failure sucks. Truly and honestly, it makes life a lot harder when you have a big red X that follows you wherever you go. But if you keep that big red X in check, if you keep it close and keep it as a reminder, you can make sure it’s only one. Once I got over the initial embarrassment, I contacted the student and apologized. It helped, a bit. But my pride was still wounded. And to ensure I don’t fail like that again, I’ve learned to find ways to fact check myself. This class has helped me put failure in a different perspective. In class, when coming up with a business product, I’ve learned that failure is the criticism and feedback that helps you create a better product. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Melissa,

    I found your story on failure very interesting. I don't know how journalism really works but I can see how a misspelled name can ruin a life. I think your last statement about wearing a red X is pretty spot on. When you fail at something, and if you learn to keep that X in check, you can make sure it is the only X you'll get again. Also, I agree with you 100% when you say that failure sucks. It really does. However, I think its really hard to avoid it sometimes but the best thing to do is try learn from every single one if them!

    You can check out my post at http://flatpeak.blogspot.com/2016/04/celebrating-failure.html

    Brian D. Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, I find your blog post candid and very forthcoming and honest which is refreshing to see. I like that you take the task at hand very seriously and that type of mindset and tenacious mental state is one that should guarantee you success in all walks of life. Thank you for a great read and I wish I could be as honest and upfront when it comes to failure. I'm quick to accept it but in terms of truly realizing why the failure occurred and implementing methods to correct any future instances, I can be a bit precocious to try again. Good luck with your future endeavors and with the rest of the semester. If you want to read my blog post you can find it here: http://ruben-s-castro.blogspot.com/2016/04/celebrating-failure.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melissa, I think the when mistakes happen we are harder on ourselves. You shouldn’t feel embarrassed about making mistakes because it will happen even the most seasoned professionals are not perfect and have missed a thing or two. It’s all about how you correct the mistakes and learn from them, which from your post you have been proactive about doing. Thank you for sharing and I’ve included a link to my blog here: http://js-uf-ent3003-2016.blogspot.com/2016/04/celebrating-failure.html

    ReplyDelete