Sunday, April 24, 2016

Final(e) reflection

Oh gosh. Looking through my blog, I get embarrassed thinking about the strangers I had to approach. Initially, it was awkward. There were times people walked away from me, which wasn’t something that was entirely new to me, but rejection never gets easier. But now, I could stomach asking a stranger for their opinion on things, especially if I’m looking to make them a customer of a business.
The most influential experience was writing my venture capital. That’s how I saw all the work I’ve been doing and putting together flow into a longer form. I’ll definitely remember the “free money” assignment for a while. It’s not every day that you’re forced to give people free money for a grade. Most joyous must be the elevator pitches. Those were kind of fun! I enjoyed having to explain and sell my product in under a minute. I also feel like it’s a skill I can use to grow and use in the future. I’m most proud of just the overall blog, and managing to keep up with it.
I do see myself as an entrepreneur. It was initially hard to consider, but now I know that it is just a set of mind. And even as a journalist, it’s something I can implement as I write, or in ways that I approach stories. I even now have an advantage on writing business stories.

I would recommend that future students print out the list of assignments (because there are a lot) and keep up with the work. A lot of the assignments are long but fun. And consider it more as a way to get to your future than an assignment. Taking this class gives you a reason and excuse to talk to strangers – which isn’t always a terrible thing.


2 comments:

  1. Melissa,

    I agree, the customer interviews were really challenging! I did not have to go through people straight up walking away from me so in a way you are lucky you experienced that because it's just one more negative thing that you were able to overcome.
    I hope all of the assignments really helped you to learn new skill as well as to learn more about yourself.

    You can check out my post here: http://sirahmora.blogspot.com/2016/04/final-reflection.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same way looking through my blog and realizing how many strangers I've talked to. I think this class really put us outside our comfort zones which was hard but extremely beneficial! I agree with your recommendations and they will definitely make life easier for future students.

    You can check out my blog here. http://darby95.blogspot.com/2016/04/venture-concept-no-2.html

    ReplyDelete